Acne is the inflammation or even infection of the skin’s oil glands. These glands that lie just below the surface can cause all sorts of breakouts including pimples, zits whiteheads, blackheads, nodules or cysts. When clogged, Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) bacteria thrive inside the pores within the skin and create all sorts of problems. Even though genetics play a large hand in the probability of developing acne, there are several steps one can take to try to prevent breakouts, if not all together, at least to lower the frequency and severity of breakouts depending upon each patient.
- Use a gentle face cleanser twice a day. This gentle cleaning can allow for your skin to breathe easier, while removing dirt and other bacteria that can stimulate breakouts.
- Avoid popping, picking or squeezing pimples at all costs. It is important to not irritate acne, even at the first signs of a breakout. This will not only cause future difficult to treat acne scars, but can also irritate the skin and lead to further breakout cycles.
- Seek Dr. Rokhsar’s expert advice on acne treatments ranging from acne medication in the form of topical solutions to anti-bacterial drugs. The assessment will be determined on age, any scarring, severity of acne condition and skin type.
- Sun protection at all times is an effective and easy daily recommendation to help the skin. This is especially important for those that are taking medication for their skin condition because they will become more susceptible and sensitive than usual. Reapplication throughout is necessary during warmer months if there is constant exposure.
- Regular exercise will boost the overall health and vitality of your body, including your skin. Because exercise makes the body secrete serotonin, stress and anxiety levels will automatically go down, allowing the body to relax and cleanse as sweat cools you down. It is of course imperative excess sweat is wiped off and exercise is routinely followed by a shower in order to avoid clogged pores.
New York City and Long Island based Dermatologist, Dr. Cameron Rokhsar is an expert in treating acne and acne scars with the fractional laser, Fraxel:Repair system. Dr. ROkhsar was involved in the development and testing of fractional lasers from 2002-2003. He has taught his techniques around the world in countries such as Australia, Europe, Brazil, Indonesia and virtually every continent across the globe.