Foundation, concealer, mascara, eyeliner, eye shadow, blush, the list goes on (hopefully on that list is also sunscreen). Be wary, many of the products you’re putting on your skin everyday and sometimes falling asleep with, contain harmful chemicals. Overtime these chemicals will do more damage than good, as they only provide a temporary perk and accentuation and contour to your face.
Check out your makeup and see if it contains any of the following ingredients. If so, seriously consider switching out your daily brand for one free of these chemicals.
1. Parabens: Parabens are a group of compounds used to prevent contamination of cosmetics and skincare products with fungus, bacteria and other cultures. Methyl, propyl, butyl and ethyl parabens are common preservatives used in all toiletries, dental and hair products. These chemicals are absorbed through the skin and may cause breast cancer. They are also likely to irritate skin, eyes and lungs.
2. Mineral oil: Mineral oil coats the skin like a plastic wrap, disrupting the skin’s natural ability to breathe and absorb the ‘natural moisture factor’. This causes burning, stinging, redness and irritation. Lack of moisture also leads to premature ageing of skin.
3. Isopropyl alcohol: It is commonly used to blend colors in cosmetics. It has been linked to neurological damage and increasing the risk of cancer.
4. Talc (magnesium silicate): Magnesium silicate is used in makeup and powders. It causes irritation the lungs and may be carcinogenic; possible link to ovarian cancer.
5. Coal tar: Coal tar is used as a colorant in cosmetics such as blushers and eye liners. Some companies also use it in anti-dandruff shampoos. Coal tar may trigger nausea, mood swings, and headaches and has been found to be linked with cancer.