Vitiligo: Understanding and Managing the Skin Condition in NYC and Long Island
What is Vitiligo?
Vitiligo is a skin disorder characterized by patches of skin losing their pigment, resulting in irregular white spots or patches. This condition arises when melanocytes, the cells responsible for producing skin pigment (melanin), are destroyed or malfunction.
How is Vitiligo treated?
At New York Cosmetic Skin & Laser Surgery, we specialize in vitiligo treatment, offering a range of advanced solutions:
- Topical medications: Steroid creams or ointments can sometimes halt or slow the spread of depigmented patches. There are other non steroidal medications which also have a role in the treatment of vitiligo. Topical tacrolimus and pimecrolimus have been around for many years and are effective especially when used in conjunction with topical steroids. Newer classes of medications called JAK inhibitors such as Opzelura have shown particular promise in the treatment of vitiligo.
- Phototherapy: A treatment exposing skin to ultraviolet light, often combined with medications, to stimulate melanin production.
- Excimer laser or XTRAC laser: The excimer laser used focused ultraviolet light in the form of laser which can be targeted to any areas of the body including the face which are affected by vitiligo. The Excimer laser is highly effective for treating vitiligo. Many patients fully or partially re-pigment the area of vitiligo. This laser needs to be administered in Dr. Rokhsar’s office once or twice a week. It can take 20-30 sessions to see for vitiligo to fade away with the excimer laser. Many insurances cover the cost of excimer (XTRAC) laser treatment of vitiligo.
How Does Vitiligo Affect People?
Beyond its cosmetic manifestation, vitiligo can have deep emotional and psychological implications:
- Self-esteem issues: The emergence of white patches can foster feelings of self-consciousness.
- Social anxiety: Individuals might feel apprehensive about societal reactions due to their unique skin appearance.
- Mental well-being: Depression or anxiety can plague some vitiligo patients.
It’s pivotal to acknowledge vitiligo’s deeper impact. At New York Cosmetic Skin & Laser Surgery, with our expertise in vitiligo treatment, we understand the nuances of the condition, ensuring our patients receive the utmost care and support.
Vitiligo, while primarily a cosmetic challenge, has profound psychological effects. For those seeking comprehensive vitiligo treatment in NYC and Long Island, the New York Cosmetic Skin & Laser Surgery Center is committed to providing state-of-the-art care and understanding.
New York Office Locations
Upper East Side Manhattan Office
121 East 60th Street, Suite 8AB New York, NY 10022
Long Island Office
901 Stewart Ave, Suite 240, Garden City, NY 11530
Request an Appointment