Summer encourages leg revealing clothing, which is a reminder of all the imperfections that were hibernating in your winter-wear. Whether it’s unsightly leg veins, cellulite, stretch marks, sun spots, unwanted hair, or exercise-resistant fat, fixing the embarrassments is possible year round.
It is important to provide patients with a variety of treatment options to eliminate reasons to cover up their legs. There are many non surgical treatments for unwanted hair, spider veins, fat, cellulite and even excessive sweating.
- Sclerotherapy is considered the most effective treatment option for getting rid of small varicose veins. It is administered into the veins in the form of an injection, which collapses and ultimately blocks further blood flow in the area of discoloration and erases their appearance through the skin. Both the long pulse Nd:YAG and Vbeam laser treatments are typically used for smaller spider veins, but can be used as alternatives for patients who wish to avoid needles.
- Laser hair removal: Undesirable hair on the legs, bikini area, arms, underarms, back and neck can be the cause of a lot of embarrassment, especially during the summer. Hair removal methods such as shaving or waxing are not only sometimes painful, but are also temporary and require high maintenance. Dr. Cameron Rokhsar utilizes the latest in laser hair removal technology, including the GentleLase Laser, which provides 85 to 90 percent hair reduction after just a few treatments. Because hair grows in cycles, four to six treatments are necessary depending upon the type of skin, hair color, and coarseness of the hair, but will leave patients with long-lasting results.
- Stretch mark removal: Staying smooth doesn’t have to stop at hair removal, it can also be applied to perfecting the texture and pigmentation of the skin. At first, they may appear pink, red or purple because of the broken blood vessels in the top layer of skin, which eventually heal, but if left untreated, will turn into silvery-white indented scars. Laser treatments are effective for diminishing the appearance of both new and old stretch marks. The pulse dye V-Beam laser is used to treat the newly fresh stretch marks by emitting a concentrated beam of light at a specific wavelength, which destroys the damaged blood vessels that cause red and purple pigment.
The only type of treatment that is proven to effectively treat older, deeper stretch marks is Fraxel, a laser therapy procedure that has been the gold-standard in fractional laser technology. The older stretch marks appear white because it disrupts the dermis, where both collagen and pigment production occur, which is why Fraxel laser treatments are a necessary treatment step. Fraxel resurfaces and rejuvenates skin by administering tiny areas of micro-damager to stimulate collagen production and replace the damaged area with new, healthy skin cells.
4. Brown spots or sun spots may appear on the legs, arms, chest and face as irregular pigmentation after years of sun exposure. Although sun spots do not respond well to creams, they can be safely and effectively removed using the Q-switched Alexandrite, Nd-YAG laser intense pulse light, photofacials or the Fraxel laser. Depending on the severity of the problem, multiple treatments may be needed for optimal results.
5. Non-surgical fat reduction: If patients are seeking a non-surgical approach to reducing cellulite and fat, VelaShape has been proven as a successful option. Patients can achieve a circumferential reduction in the thighs, as well as the improvement of cellulite in the hips and buttocks. The precision heating contours, shapes and slims the body by reducing the size of the actual fat cells and chambers.
6. Diet and exercise-resistant fat doesn’t have be a summer burden all season long, especially when there are non-surgical procedures that can effectively contour the body with no downtime. CoolSculpting is a reliable non-invasive procedure that destroys unwanted fat by freezing cells through a prolonged cooling process, during which the fat cells are turned from a soft to solid form. The body then naturally metabolizes the frozen fat out of the body and because of this; results are gradual and begin to show in three weeks with progressive improvements up to four months.
7. Incisions aren’t necessary for those that undergo Liposonix, which utilizes focused ultrasound technology to destroy targeted fat in the thighs, buttocks, and for other troublesome areas such as the abdomen, flanks, back and arms. UltraShape is another fat reduction method that administers ultrasound to separate and suspend fat into fluid between cells, which the body then naturally metabolizes. Currently, this is pending FDA-approval in the United States. Dr. Rokhsar is the first physician to use the LipoSonix procedure in the United States and will continue to provide his patients with unrivaled experience and innovative procedures.
8. Hyperhidrosis: Excessive sweating can become an embarrassing problem year round, but especially during the summer when sandals are the popular footwear. Many people suffer from excessive sweating, also known as hyperhidrosis, which can occur anywhere on the body, even the feat. Botox is an injection more commonly known for treating wrinkles by blocking the signal in the muscles to contract, but if used to block the sweat signals, can stop the embarrassing excess of sweat.