Each year, more people are diagnosed with skin cancer than all other cancers combined. This alarming fact has called skin care experts such as Dr. Cameron Rokhsar to action to educate the community about skin cancer prevention. As the head of New York Cosmetic, Skin and Laser Surgery Center in NYC and Long Island, Dr. Rokhsar has witnessed firsthand the devastating effects of this disease.
Preventing Skin Cancer in New York
Skin cancer can be treated when caught at its earliest stages. Aside from providing a thorough skin assessment, Dr. Rokhsar makes it a point to educate all his clients that come into his clinic. Here are a few points he emphasizes:
Sun protection is key. Wherever you are in the world, there is no escaping the sun. Unprotected exposure to UVA/UVB rays is a notorious cause of skin cancer. Dr. Rokhsar advises his patients to make sun protection a regular part of their routine.
- Avoiding direct sun exposure from 10AM to 4PM (when the sun is at its most powerful) can help reduce the risk for developing skin cancer.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a SPF of at least 15 every day, even when it’s cloudy.
- When spending time outdoors, use SPF 30. Apply about two tablespoons of sunscreen on your entire body 30 minutes before exposure to allow your skin to completely absorb the formula.
- Protective clothing such as a wide brimmed hat and long-sleeved top also help to protect the skin, especially if you spend a lot of time outdoors.
- Don’t forget your eyes! Exposure to the sun can affect your vision and even lead to the development of cataracts. Choose sunglasses that offer broad protection and fit your personal style.
Say no to tanning beds. Tanning beds may be all the rage, but they aren’t good for your skin. These beds work by exposing your skin to large amounts of UVA/UVB rays which may increase your risk for skin cancer and premature aging. Dr. Rokhsar recommends getting your tan the natural way or opting to use tanning lotions or sprays instead.
Sun spot removal in New York City and Long Island
Sun spots, or actinic keratoses, are developed through over exposure to the sun and appear as darkened patches of skin. Although they can be treated with topical hydroquinone medication, sun spots are best removed with lasers.
Lasers stimulate skin cell turnover, which brings sun spots to the surface where they are naturally shed by the body. As one of the pioneers of laser surgery in New York, Dr. Rokshar is extremely qualified to assess your skin condition and recommend the best treatment to get rid of your sun spots safely and effectively.
Best Dermatologist in New York
As one of New York’s top dermatologists, Dr. Rokhsar can help you prevent skin cancer. If you have a suspicious lesion, discoloration or growth on your skin, do not hesitate to set up an appointment today. Remember, it is possible to treat skin cancer with early detection and screening!